The purpose of this article is to assist you in figuring out how you’d like to set up your website based on the type of products you’re selling. No two accounts are the same, but we believe that each store can have an optimal setup. By reading the article below, we hope to steer you in the right direction during your planning and set up phases!
First, let’s think about the type of products you’d like to sell. For the purposes of our software, we have three different categories of products: Prints, Originals, and Standard Products. Here’s how we define the different types of products:
- PRINTS: Prints are any type of art that can be printed on media and hung on a wall. More common media types would be canvas, metal, acrylic, paper, etc. These products can be fulfilled by one of our fulfillment vendors and shipped on your behalf. Alternatively, you may opt to be “Self-fulfilling” and either print them on your own printer (if you own one), or source a local/offline printer near you.
- ORIGINALS: These products are typically the original piece of art you created. This would include pieces like oil on canvas, watercolors, or mixed media artwork. Originals are typically still “hangable” art, meaning that the piece should still be hung or framed for best viewing.
- STANDARD PRODUCTS: This category is a little broader. Basically, anything that does not fit into the two categories above is considered to fall into this third category. These items would include things such as mugs, t-shirts, sculptures, or typical pieces you wouldn’t find hanging on a wall.
Next, let’s talk about the kinds of stores you can have on your site. We distinguish these stores by the type of product that is made available for sale in them. Remember: The products you sell on the site must fall into the above three categories for the stores to function appropriately.
- ART PRINT STORE: This store is primarily for PRINTS. This means that if you are attempting to fulfill through one of our fulfillment vendors or you have a local printer, this is the shop for you. If you’re selling sculptures, this is NOT the right store for you. The coolest factor in this store is that +you have the ability to display an original piece (such as a sculpture) right alongside the Print version of the product. This reduces the number of clicks your customers have to make to get to one or the other, but this is not required. You may host these products separately if you so wish.
- STANDARD STORE: This store is for products that are not sold as prints, or to separate Originals from Prints. If you would like to have a separate store or page for your original or standard products, this is the correct store to create.
PLEASE NOTE: If you do create anything in a Standard store, you must set up shipping methods. If you fail to set up shipping methods for this store, you will not be paid for the shipping and will eventually eat the cost of shipping the item.
Now that we have talked about the types of products you can sell and the stores that you can build to sell them appropriately, we’ll run through some scenarios below to show you how you might set your store up:
- What if I only want to sell prints of my artwork?
If you ONLY want to sell prints, use the Art Print Store. This is the store that will enable Fulfillment Vendors to receive your Ready-To-Print Images you’ve uploaded, or if you’re self-fulfilling, will also allow the proper tools (such as the Wall Preview Tool) to function correctly with your art.
- What if I want to sell prints AND original paintings?
If you’d like to sell both prints and original products (such as paintings), you have two options. You can:
1. Set up an Art Print Store to host the Art Print Product and the Original on the same web page
2. Set up an Art Print Store and a Standard Store to upload the products separately and use two different stores and features to sell your art.
There are pros and cons to both setups, but there is no “wrong” way of going about it.
- What if I am a photographer? What do I do?
If you are a photographer that is only selling prints of your work (not limited editions), you will need to create an Art Print Store. As previously stated, an Art Print Store is the best store to put any product that can be printed by yourself or a print studio. The only time that a Standard Store would be created for photography is if you are attempting to set up Limited Editions of your photography. In most cases, our fulfillment vendors will not fulfill Limited Edition Photography through our platform. If you have a local printer that will do that for you, then you would want to set those products in a Standard Store.
- What if I don’t have any prints to sell at all?
If you have no prints to sell because you’re a sculptor or sell items that do not hang on a wall, then create a Standard Store. This will be the best place to display your non-wall art and offer the best buying experience for these type of products.
- Help! This doesn’t make sense!
Need assistance or to get your questions answered? Reach out to the support team by email or by requesting a 30-minute call. We’re here to help, so please don’t be afraid to ask!