Being able to accept payments on your website is one of the most important steps. If you miss this step, you won’t be able to process orders, sell art or make a profit. Setting up Stripe is a great way to accept credit card payments on your website. You don’t have to use Stripe, you can use Authorize.net to accept credit card payments, but ASF finds that Stripe is easier to work with and set up.
If you would like to learn how to set Stripe up on your site, please follow the directions below.
- Navigate to Stripe and click on the button labeled Sign In.
- Enter your Username in the appropriate field.
- Then, enter your Password in the appropriate field.
- Click on the button labeled Sign In To Your Account.
- Once you’re logged in to your Stripe account, look at the left side of the screen. There is a list of options. Find the one labeled Developers and click on it.
- After clicking on Developers, there will be second set of options that will appear underneath it. Click on the one called API keys.
- You’re going to be taken to a new page where there’s a section labeled Secret. Click on the button labeled Reveal Live Key Secret.
- Your Secret Key will then be revealed to you. You need to copy this Secret Key.
- Navigate to your Art Storefronts Control Panel and click on the tab labeled Info & Settings. In this section, we’ll be able to get to the area where we need to paste the Secret Key.
- After that, find the tab labeled Shopping Cart. This is the section where we’re going to be able to paste that Secret Key and make sure people can make purchases on the site.
- Scroll down the page to the box labeled Choose Your Merchant. This is a drop-down menu with multiple options. You need to be sure to choose the option labeled Stripe.
- Below that, there is a box labeled Secret Key. This is where you need to paste the Secret Key that your copied from your Stripe.
- The third box is labeled Allow Customer to Save Credit Cards. This can be set to On or Off. If this is Off, the customer will not be able to save their card for later, but if it’s set to On, they can save their card for later. If you need more information, you can review How To: Toggle the Save Credit Card Feature On or Off.
- After you’ve entered all the information and you’re satisfied with your changes, click the button labeled Save. DO NOT CLICK THE BACK BUTTON. If you click the back button, all the changes you made here will be lost.
Important Note: Before you allow people to start placing orders on your site, you PERSONALLY need to try a test transaction. For more information on how to do this, please see, How To: Run a Test Transaction on your Site.