When you are an artist that paints or creates originals of your work, you may find that you want to sell them on your Art Storefronts website. There are two separate ways that this can be done on Art Storefronts. One of the ways is by creating an original to be displayed side by side with a print. The second way to offer an original is as a standalone product. In this article we’ll be showing you how to offer a standalone original. If you want to sell an original with a print, please review our article How To: Add an Original to an Art Print Store.
If you want to learn how to sell an original in a Standard Store, please follow the directions below.
- Navigate to your Art Storefronts Site Manager and click on the Standard Store you want to work in. We will be working in the Standard Store titled Test Standard Store.
- In the Standard Store, you need to make sure you are on the tab labeled Products. This is the tab that is going to allow us to create an Original to the Standard Store.
- After making sure you’re on the Products tab, you need to make sure that you click on the button labeled +Add Product. This is going to allow us to create the Original.
- On the next page, there will be two fields. The first field is labeled Type of Product. Here, make sure you select the option labeled Original Art Product. This will ensure that we are able to use this item for our Original.
Please Note: Originals are subject to Transaction Fees.
- After that, there is a section labeled Name. In this box, you need to make sure you enter in a clear and concise name. It’s important to remember that your customer will see this name, so make sure it matches your aesthetic.
- After you’ve selected the appropriate option and you’ve entered in an appropriate name, you need to click on the button labeled DO NOT CLICK THE BACK BUTTON. If you click the back button, you will lose all the changes you made and the product will not be created.
- After you’ve clicked the Save button, you’ll be taken to another new page. This is the actual Original You should make sure, before anything else, that you are on the tab labeled Info. This tab will allow you to work on the basics of your Original.
- After making sure you are on the tab labeled Info, you can scroll down and the first box you will see is labeled Name. In this box, you can change the name of your Original at any point in time. Remember that your customer does see this name.
- Next, there’s a section labeled Quantity. This box is where you can set the number of Originals you have available for sell. As customers buy Originals, this counter will automatically adjust the quantity left in stock. When there are no Originals left it will show as Sold on the website. For more information about this section, please review our article How To: Use Inventory Enforcement.
Please Note: For Originals, this field will always default to 1. If you do not have 1 Original available for sale, you will need to make sure to change this number.
- Then, we have the section labeled Artist Name. Here you can enter in the name of the Artist who created the Original. This will appear on your website.
- The Item Code section is up next. This is not a required field and it will not be seen on your website by customers. This can be used for things like SKU numbers or internal information that you simply do not want your customers to see.
- We’ve got the section labeled Size up next. This is where you can enter in a width by height size for the original.
- After that, there’s a box labeled Short Description where you can enter a brief description of the Original. You can enter in information like what type of medium and implements you used to create the original product.
- Then, we have a box labeled Long Description. This is where you’ll want to enter a longer description regarding your image. We suggest using phrases and explanations here that evoke an emotional response from our customer. This may aid you in getting more conversions (read: sales).
- Price is the next box you will see. Here you can enter in the cost for the Original. You need to make sure that the price you enter here does not include a dollar sign or other special characters.
Tip: You can change this price at any point in time.
- Search Keywords is the next box. THESE ARE NOT THE SAME AS META KEYWORDS. THESE KEYWORDS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH APPEARING IN GOOGLE SEARCHES. These keywords are used specifically to make sure your Originals appear in your ASF site Search and in your Product Galleries.
Please Note: For more information on how to use Search Keywords to make sure you Originals show up in Product Galleries on your home page, please review our article [Master Article][For All Artists and Galleries] How To: Set Up you Home Page as a Gallery of Subject Matter Categories.
- Shipping Weight is the next box available. If you are charging for shipping based on weight, you will need to use this box. You will have to enter in a weight, but you need to make sure you are not using anything other than numbers in this box. You cannot us abbreviations like lbs or kg.
Please Note: If you need more information about setting up Shipping, you can review our article How To: Set Up Shipping Prices by Weight.
- The final item is labeled Add Photos. You can use this button to upload images of the Original that you are selling. We recommend only using 3-5 images. Anything larger may slow your site down.
Please Note: You may only upload images up to 5mb Anything larger will not upload.
- Once you’ve filled out everything you need to click the button labeled Save. DO NOT CLICK THE BACK BUTTON. If you click the back button you will lose all the changes you just made.