Google Analytics is one of the top and most powerful tools out there for monitoring and analyzing traffic on your website. It provides you with an enormous amount of information about who is visiting your site, how they’re getting there and what they’re looking for. Because this tool is so powerful Art Storefronts naturally wanted to offer a way to integrate it. In this article, you’ll find steps on how to install Google Analytics on your site. You can also read our blog post Installing Google Analytics for more information.
If you want to learn how to install Google Analytics on your Art Storefronts site, please follow the directions below.
- Make sure you have your preferred web browser open and navigate to the Google Analytics Solutions Once you’re there, you need to make sure you click on the button labeled Sign In.
- After clicking on Sign In, you will be presented with a list of different options. For our purposes, we need to make sure we click on the item labeled Analytics. This is the option that is going to allow us to create and install the Google Analytics code we need.
- After clicking Analytics, if you haven’t set up Google Analytics before, you’ll be confronted with a page talking about analyzing your site’s traffic in 3 steps. On this page, on the right-hand side, there’s a button labeled Sign Up. You’ll need to go ahead and click on this button so you can start the process.
- You’re going to be taken to a new page with quite a bit of information on it, but we’re going to take it step by step. First, you need to make sure you have the option labeled Website as opposed to the option labeled Mobile App.
- After that, move on to the section labeled Account Name. In this box, you need to enter in the name of the account. You may want to just use your business name That will make it easy for you to recognize what the account is being used for.
- Website Name is the next and this is where you can enter the name that your site goes by. For example, the name of my website is Mercurial Designs. In this box, I’d enter Mercurial Designs. It is not asking for the site URL here.
- The next box, however, is labeled Website URL. Here, you’ll want to make sure you are entering your Custom Domain If you want things to track properly, using the custom domain name is best.
Warning: If you enter in the Art Storefronts URL here, make sure it is because your NEVER intend to connect a custom domain to your Art Storefronts website. Entering an ASF URL here when you intend to use a Custom Domain Name will mean you will have to go in and redo this entire process.
- After that, we have Industry Category. This is a drop-down list. Because you’re an Artist, or Photographer or Print Studio, you want to make sure you select the option labeled Arts and Entertainment.
- Reporting Time Zone follows the section labeled Industry Category. Here we have two items. The first is the country selection. Depending on the country you are in will delegate what you should choose here. Because ASF is in the United States, I will be leaving this option as United States.
- After that, there’s a section for your Time Zone. It’s important to select the appropriate time zone for your site so you will be able to track information that comes through the analytics without having to do a time conversion every time.
- After that, there’s a section labeled Data Sharing Settings. We strongly suggest leaving this as is and not removing any of the check-marks from any of these boxes.
- Once you’ve filled everything out on this page, be sure you click on the button labeled Get Tracking ID because this will generate the tracking ID you are going to need for your Art Storefronts website.
- Next, a new window will pop up and it’s going to have the Google Analytics Terms of Service in it. We suggest reading over this information so you know what exactly their Terms of Service Once you’ve done this, click on the option labeled I Accept.
Please Note: If you choose not to accept their Terms of Service you will not be able to use Google Analytics.
- After you have clicked I Accept, you’ll be taken to a new page and if you scroll down, there’s a section labeled Global Site Tag. You need to copy everything in that box because we will be using this on our Art Storefronts website. This will implement Google Analytics for you.
- From here, you need to navigate to your Art Storefronts Control Panel and one there, click on the tab labeled Info & Settings because this will be the first leg of getting us to where we need to be to implement that code that you just copied.
- After clicking on Info & Settings, you’ll see a list of secondary tabs on the page. Find the one labeled Scripts and click on this. This will take us to a section that allows us to add pieces of code, globally, to the Head or Body of the site.
- After you’ve gotten to the right page, find the box labeled Head and in this box, you need to make sure you paste the code that you previously copied from Google Analytics. It needs to be pasted exactly as it was copied.
- Once you are sure you have entered the code into the Head section properly, you will need to click on the Save DO NOT CLICK THE BACK BUTTON. If you click on the back button you will lose all the progress you have made and you will have to redo the latter part of this process.