On Art Storefronts, if you’re an Artist or Gallery, Art Storefronts strongly suggests that you set up your home page as a gallery of Subject Matter Categories. This is so important that we’ve included it in each of the setup guides for our Artists (How To: Get Started and Download the setup Guides). We’ve written a Blog (Site Optimization Lesson 1: Your Home Page Should Be A Gallery Of Subject Matter Categories) about this subject and we’ve also included it in the Site Auditor (a list that focuses on making sure your website follows the best practices Art Storefronts has put in place in an attempt to make you more successful.
We want to make it clear that this process is quite long. There are several steps you’re going to have to follow to make sure that your home page is set up properly and works correctly in conjunction with the rest of the pages you set up. If you hit any walls or need any assistance at all, please feel free to e-mail email@example.com and our Technical Agents will reach out to you as soon as possible.
In an effort to help everyone understand this process a little bit better we’ve come up with a metaphor that we will be using throughout this entire process ([Master Article] [For All Artists and Galleries] How To: Set Up your Home Page Correctly). As we walk you through this process, we’re going to use a brick and mortar store metaphor.
As a consumer, you have been to a brick and mortar store. You also understand that there are thousands of pieces that go into building and maintaining a store. Setting up your home page correctly also has multiple pieces to it. Right now, we’re going to focus only on the home page specifically.
In terms of our brick and mortar metaphor, you can think of your home page as the actual building. Before you start filling up your store with products and shelves and signs, you must have four walls and a roof. Your home page is going to be the four walls and roof.
If you’re ready to learn how to set up your home page properly, please follow the directions below.
- Log in to your Art Storefronts Control Panel and click on the page titled Shop Art.
Please Note: This page is a Product Gallery Page. Product Gallery pages are used to display categories that contain your Art. This IS NOT a STORE page. You cannot upload images to a Product Gallery page. If you need to know how or where to upload your images so you can sell them, please see [Master Article] [For All Artists and Galleries] How To: Set Up an Art Print Store.
- Scroll down and find the section labeled Name. Here, you can change the name of the page from Shop Art to Home if you like. Either of these names are acceptable, but we strongly advise against using any other names for this page.
- Scroll down to the section labeled Display Choice and in the drop-down menu select Keywords as Categories. IF YOU DO NOT SELECT KEYWORDS AS CATEGORIES, AT THE END OF THE PROCESS, YOUR HOME PAGE WILL NOT FUNCTION PROPERLY.
Please Note: Keywords as Categories will display the first image of each keyword you enter in as a category. If a product gallery page exists with the exact Smart URL as the keyword (we’ll be covering this in the next article. If you’re ready for that, please see How To: Display Products According to Best Practises. The category will link to that page when clicked. For example, if your keyword is "california-beaches", then the Smart URL for your secondary Product Gallery page should exactly match "california-beaches". If no page exists, the category will link to a search using that keyword (as a fallback) and you may find that there are images missing from that search or images you don’t want to display in that category are appearing. If the category is missing an image, it means no products are matching your keyword (i.e the search is empty).
- Move on to the section labeled Keywords. In this box, you must enter in all the specific subject matter categories you want displayed on your home page.
Please Note: When you enter in your keywords you must enter them in exactly as you want them to appear on your home page. If you want them capitalized, you need to capitalize them here.
You cannot use special characters such as parenthesis. If you do it will cause issues and the category will not function properly.
Furthermore, if you have a multi-word keyword you cannot include the spaces in the keyword. You will instead be required to use a hyphen. In the image below you will see that Solo Artists is hyphenated. This is because it is a multi-word keyword. If you fail to use hyphens you will find that your categories pull incorrect images or no images at all. Please DO NOT disregard this information.
Warning: THESE KEYWORDS ARE NOT THE SAME AS META KEYWORDS. PLEASE DO NOT CONFUSE THEM.
- After you’ve made all your changes are you are sure that everything is entered properly, click the button labeled Save. DO NOT CLICK THE BACK BUTTON. If you click on the back button all your changes will be lost.
- Next, click on the tab labeled SEO Options.
- On the next page, find the box labeled Smart URL. In this box, you will see it says shop-art. You are welcome to change this to say home or leave it as is.
- If you do change the Smart URL, click the Save From here, you’re going to want to move on to the next step in this process. Please see How To: Display Products According to Best Practises.