Any website created should also have a sitemap that goes along with it. Art Storefronts is no different. These sitemaps are important because they assist Google in crawling your website. This means that when you submit your sitemap, you are letting Google know that your site is ready for review and ready to start being added to the stack. As important as this step is, make sure you have also completed your SEO information on your site so when Google indexes your pages, they are fully indexed with all of your important SEO information.
If you’d like to learn how to add a sitemap to the Google Search Console, please follow the directions below.
- Open your internet browser and navigate to the Google Search Console and enter your E-mail Address.
- Click the button labeled Next.
- You will then need to enter in your Password.
- After that, click the button labeled Next.
- Then click on the button labeled Add a Property.
- A box will pop up with some information in it and you need to find the box labeled Website. In this box, enter in your CUSTOM DOMAIN NAME. DO NOT ENTER YOUR ART STOREFRONTS SUBDOMAIN.
Warning: If you use your Art Storefronts domain name, but you have connected your custom domain name to your Art Storefronts site, the process isn’t going to work properly and could possibly cause issues later down the line.
Simply put, DO NOT USE YOUR ART STOREFRONTS SUBDOMAIN NAME UNLESS YOU HAVE NO INTENTIONS OF EVER ATTACHING A CUSTOM DOMAIN TO YOUR ASF SITE.
- After that, make sure you click on the button labeled Next.
- You’re going to be taken to a new page that is talking about verifying your website. There are 2 tabs. One is recommended (which DOES NOT work with ASF) and the other is Alternate Methods. Click on the option labeled Alternate Methods. We must verify your website so Google knows that this isn’t an erroneous request.
- A list will appear with several verification options. You can ONLY use the option labeled HTML Tag, so make sure the dot is next to HTML Tag.
- Once the HTML Tag is selected, you’ll receive a list of instructions. Find the first step and COPY the code listed in the box.
- In a new tab (CTRL+T), log in to your Art Storefronts Control Panel and click on the tab labeled Info & Settings. This tab is going to allow us to access the area where we need to put the code we just copied.
- On the Info & Settings tab, you’ll see a list of secondary tabs. Within this secondary list, click the item labeled Scripts. This is where we are going to be pasting that code.
- A new page will appear and on this page, there is a section labeled Head. In the section labeled Head, paste the code you just copied. This basically serves as a beacon for Google to know that this can site is legitimate.
- Once you’ve pasted that code, click on the Save DO NOT CLICK THE BACK BUTTON. If you click the back button, you will lose all the work you just did.
- Return to the tab where you left the Google Search Console At the bottom of the page, click on the red button labeled Verify.
- If you have pasted the code in the appropriate section of your ASF site and you saved it, you will receive a confirmation message stating that the ownership of the site has been confirmed. You’re going to then click on the button labeled Continue.
- After clicking on continue you’ll be taken to another new page. On the left-hand side of the page there’s a list of items. You’ll need to click on the item labeled Crawl. Crawling is almost exactly what it sounds like. Basically, Google visits all your pages and reviews the information on them.
- Under Crawl, find the option labeled Sitemaps and click on it. This is going to be the point where we begin the process of submitting the actual Sitemap.
- Return to the tab you have open with your Art Storefronts site and then click on the tab labeled Site Address. We need to grab one more piece of information that we will need to submit your sitemap.
- There is a box labeled Site Address and you need to copy the information in that box.
- Return to the tab with Google Search Console There will be a red button labeled Add/Test Sitemap and you’re going to need to click on it.
- A new box will pop up and there will be a blank field. In that blank field, you need to type in sitemaps/ and then paste in the information we just copied from your Art Storefronts website. What we are doing here is telling Google that the sitemap belongs to the ASF site, but we’re masking the name with a custom domain.
Warning: If you don’t enter this information in properly, your Sitemap will fail and you will receive an error message. These error messages can include 302 404 and many others. If you receive these errors, you need to redo this section and follows the steps exactly.
- After entering in the information into the field, click on the blue button labeled Submit. This will submit your sitemap to Google.
- You’ll receive a message saying the item was submitted. You need to click on the item labeled Refresh the Page. This is how you make sure there are no errors.
- If you have correctly completed all the steps, you will see that your Sitemap has been submitted to Google.