If your custom domain name is hosted by GoDaddy you can use these step-by-step instructions to point it to the Art Storefronts platform and to your site.
- Go to www.godaddy.com and click on Sign In.
- You will now need to enter your Username or Customer Number and your Password.
- After you have entered these, click on Sign In.
- Once you have logged on, you should be viewing the My Products page, which will list the domain names you own. Find the one which you are connecting to your Art Storefronts site, and click on the DNS button to the right.
- Scroll down to the Records section of this page, and find the CNAME entry named www. Click on the pencil icon to the right to edit this.
- Change the @ in the Points to field to www.artstorefronts.com and then click on Save.
Warning: Only enter www.artstorefronts.com into this field. DO NOT put your Art Storefronts subdomain or any other domain name into this field.
- Scroll further down the page until you reach the section labeled Forwarding, and click on the ADD button beside Domain.
- Now there are several things to enter here. The first is the Forward To section. Make sure the first section is set to http:// and then paste your domain name (starting with www) into the second field. Your domain name should be in lower case to work correctly, so make sure it reads like www.mysite.com and not WWW.MYSITE.COM.
Warning: This should always be set to http:// and not https:// If it is set to https:// customers may encounter SSL or other connection errors when trying to visit your site.
- Next make sure that the Forward Type is set as Permanent (301).
- Next under Settings, this should be on Forward only.
Warning: Setting this to Forward with masking can break your shopping cart and SEO. You MUST use Forward only.
- Then click in the checkbox beside Update my nameservers to enable this option, and click on the Save button below it.
- Now it’s time to switch back to the Site Manager in order to perform the other half of this process. Once your site has loaded, click on Site Address.
- Click on + Add New.
- Enter your domain name into this field. If it’s not a subdomain, you should have a www at the start of it.
- You should now have your domain name listed below.
Please note: Although your domain name may be up and running very quickly, in some cases it may take up to 24-48 hours for these settings to take effect properly. While these changes are propagating you may experience errors while trying to access your domain name, but these should disappear once this process has been completed.
I’m getting a "your connection is not secure" message. This boils down to the way GoDaddy forwards your site addresses. https:// addresses are forwarded in a very specific way, so if you put https://www.yoursite.com into the address bar, it will load correctly - and if you put yoursite.com in, it will also load correctly. However, putting in https://yoursite.com will cause this error to show up, as GoDaddy doesn’t forward https:// addresses in this manner.