Connecting a custom domain to your Art Storefronts site is the definitive way to know that you are live! Once the custom domain is attached you can start working on generating traffic and sales on your website, so this step should be one of the last ones you complete.
ART STOREFRONTS RECOMMENDATIONTHIS STEP IS NOT OPTIONAL. THIS MUST BE DONE. A CUSTOM DOMAIN IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR BRANDING AND WE STRONGLY SUGGEST BUYING A DOMAIN NAME FROM GODADDY. THIS ARTICLE WILL SPECIFICALLY FOCUS ON HOW TO SET UP A CUSTOM DOMAIN THROUGH GODADDY. YOU MAY USE OTHER REGISTRARS BUT KNOW IT MAY TAKE LONGER AND BE MORE DIFFICULT FOR YOU TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS.
Table of Contents
Registrar Set Up
- First, you need to make sure you are on godaddy.com and Sign In.
- On the next page, enter your Username and Password. Note that these are case sensitive, and you need to make sure you type them in perfectly. Then you can go ahead and Sign In.
- Once logged in, you should see a list of your domains. Click on the button labeled DNS for the domain you want to work on.
- The following page will show you several different options. Find the option under the Type section that is labeled as CNAME and click on the pencil icon next to it.
- Find the column titled Host. In this column, you MUSTenter www, otherwise your custom domain won’t work.
- Points To is the next section and in this box, you absolutely MUST enter in www.artstorefronts.com.
Warning: If you put ANYTHING other than www.artstorefronts.com in the Points To box, it WILL NOT WORK. You cannot use things like IP addresses or anything else. Putting any other information here is WRONG.
- TTL is the final box here. DO NOT make any changes to this box at all.
- When you’re sure the Host box and the Points To box are correct (and you should double and triple check this) you can click on the button labeled Save.
- Now, scroll down the page until you find a section labeled Forwarding and click on the pencil next to DOMAIN. We must forward your site so when a customer goes to www.yoursite.com or yoursite.com it all shows up correctly.
- Next to the http:// box is another box where you need to enter in your custom domain name that INLCUDES the www in front of it. For example, my custom domain name is mercurialdesigns.com and in the box I MUST enter www.mercurialdesigns.com for it to work properly.
Warning: If this section says anything other than http://, your custom domain name WILL NOT work AT ALL. DO NOT use https://
- Next to the http:// box, there is another box and in it, you need to enter in your custom domain name that INLCUDES the www in front of it. For example, my custom domain name is mercurialdesigns.com and in the box I MUST enter www.mercurialdesigns.com for it to work properly.
Warning: If you FAIL to include the www in front of your custom domain name, it WILL NOT work properly. You MUST follow this EXACTLY.
- Below that, there’s a section labeled Forward Type, and this is going to be set to Permanent (301). DO NOT CHANGE THIS. DON’T TOUCH IT. Please leave this as is.
- Settings is up next, and you need to select Forward Only.
Warning: Do NOT use the forwarding with masking option. It will keep the domain from working with Art Storefronts.
- The final option is Update my Nameservers and DNS Settings to Support This Change and make sure there’s a checkmark beside it.
- Finally, when you’re sure you’ve filled everything out properly, you can click the Save button.
Connect your Domain to ASF
- Log in to your Art Storefronts Site Manager. The Site Manager can also be referred to as the Back-End of the site or the Control Panel. Find the tab titled SITE ADDRESS and click on it.
- You’re going to see a new page and you’re going to need to click the button labeled +ADD NEW.
- A pop-up with a blank field will appear. In that field, enter YOUR custom domain name with the www in front of it.
- Click on the button labeled CREATE.
- You should now see that your custom domain name has been added to your Art Storefronts
Please Note: When you connect your custom domain to your Art Storefronts website it can take up to 24 hours for it to propagate.
- My custom domain isn’t working. I keep getting an error when I try to go to my custom domain name.
- First, you need to go back to GoDaddy and make sure your CNAME record has www and www.artstorefronts.com. If it doesn’t, it wasn’t done properly and you should make those changes.
- If your CNAME record is correct, you need to check your forwarding. In the forward box, you need to have http:// and the box that contains the domain name you need it to be yoursite.com. If it doesn’t have the www it won’t work
- If the CNAME and forwarding are correct, navigate to your ASF site, click on the SITE ADDRESS tab and make sure you’ve added your custom domain name with www in front of it.
- If all of this is done, make sure you’ve waited 24 to 48 hours for it to propagate.
- My page won’t save my domain name on the ASF site.
- You may need to use an approved browser. If you’re using anything other than Firefox or Chrome, you should stop and use either Chrome or Firefox.
- If you’re using an approved browser, you may need to clear your cache. Check out how to clear the cache by using the article on How To: Clear your Cache.
What do I do next?
Congratulations! Your website is now essentially live! Great job! Now, you can move on to asking for a Technical Site Audit.
A Technical Site Audit is something that our support team will do to make sure your website is set up 100% correctly and you’re ready to start your marketing journey. If you’re ready to learn about Tech Site Audits, please check out the article How To: Request a Technical Site Audit.