ART STOREFRONTS RECOMMENDATION
Art Storefronts offers several different payment gateway options, but we strongly suggest using Stripe in the beginning because they are the easiest and fastest to set up. You may choose to use another payment gateway, but it may slow down your work flow and cause you to delay launching your Art Storefronts site.
What do I do next?
Now that you can accept payments from people, why not give it a try? A test transaction is a great way to make sure your site is up and running properly and can actually accept payments. To do that you should run a test transaction and for more information on how to do that, check out the article How To: Run a Test Transaction.
Payment Gateways are an essential part of the process to get your website live. One of the main reasons you have an online presence is to sell online and accept payments. Payments Gateways are what will allow you to do this.
Art storefronts offers multiple payment gateways, but for the sake of brevity and ease, we generally suggest folks use Stripe. It’s easy to set-up and comparatively quick when you look at Authorize.net.
We’re going to teach you how to get Stripe set up and running properly on your site, so you can accept payments and be totally prepared for your first sale.
Table of Contents
Get your Secret Key
- First, you need to make sure you’ve navigated to com. That’s where we’re going to be starting. So, when you’re sure you’re on Stripe, look at the upper right-hand corner and click on the Sign In button.
Please Note: You MUST have a Stripe account for this to work, so if you don’t have one, create one as soon as possible.
- One the next page, you’re going to need to enter in your email address and your Stripe password. These are case-sensitive, so you need to make sure you’re entering them in exactly.
- After you’re sure you entered the proper username and password, click on the button labeled Sign in to Your Account.
- Before you’re going to be able to do anything worthwhile in Stripe, you need to activate your account. On the left-hand side, find the button labeled Activate your Account and click on it.
- Clicking that button is going to load up a new section where you’ll see the button to Resend Verification If you haven’t received an email you can click this button to resend the activation email to you.
Please Note: You MUST activate your Stripe account or you’re not going to be able to complete this process.
- Navigate to your email account and check to see if you have the Stripe If you do, you can click on it and follow the link to activate your account.
- It will take you to a new page where it will ask you to log in. Enter your Username and Password and go ahead and log in to the account.
- You will be asked to verify that you are not a robot. Go ahead and complete the verification process.
- After you’ve activated your account, you’ll be taken back to the Stripe Dashboard and on the left-hand side, you again need to click on Activate your Account.
- On the next page, you’re going to be asked to enter in your business information, tax number and other important items.
Please Note: To understand what a field is, please read over it and then fill it out. NONE OF THESE FIELDS ARE OPTIONAL. THEY ARE REQUIRED. FILL THEM OUT.
- When everything on that page has been filled out and you have confirmed your account, you need to click on the button labeled Submit Application.
- If you’ve filled out all the boxes appropriately and you’ve hit the button labeled Submit Application, you should receive a message saying Thanks for Activating your account, you can look to the left-hand side of the page again and find the section labeled Business Information and click on it.
- You’re going to see a section titled Phone Verification and next to it, there’s a little orange badge saying Unverified and there’s a button labeled Verify Now. Go ahead and click on Verify Now.
- You’ll be taken to a new page where you need to enter you telephone number into the box.
- After that, click on the Send Confirmation Code.
- You’re going to receive a confirmation code on your phone and when you do, you need to enter that code into the Stripe.
- Click Verify Number to verify that website.
- Then, the site will say Verified and you’re going to need to look over to the left-hand side of the page again. You need to find the section titled Developers and click on it.
- The next thing you need to look for is the section under Developers labeled API Keys. When you see API Keys, you must click on it, because this is going to give you the code you need to put on your ASF site.
- You’re now going to see several different keys. Find the one that’s labeled Secret Key and click on the button titled Reveal Live Key Token.
- Once the key is revealed, MAKE SURE IT SAYS LIVE. If this says TEST, it means you haven’t completely set up your Stripe Stop, restart the directions and follow them EXACTLY. If it says like, copy it.
Integrate Stripe with Art Storefronts
- Now that you’ve got your Stripe key copied, you need to head over to your Art Storefronts Control Panel. This is sometimes called the back-end of the site or the Site Manager.
When you’re sure you’re there, find the tab titled SITE SETTINGS and click on it.
- Before you go any further, on the next page, you need to find a tab labeled SHOPPING CART and click on it. If you don’t click on this, you can’t follow this process and you won’t be able to get your payment gateway added to your account.
- Scroll down the page and find the option titled Choose your Merchant and from that drop-down menu, select the option labeled Stripe.
- Then, in the box, paste your Secret Key.
- Click the Save button to make sure your work is saved. DO NOT click the back button or you’ll lose the progress you just made.
- I put my key in, but I got an error saying The Stripe Secret Key you entered appears to be your Test Key. This is incorrect. Please input your Live Key instead.
- The reason you’re seeing this information is because you attempted to enter in a key that said TEST. You need to go back and verify your Stripe website. You need to make sure the account is activated and make sure you’ve verified your phone number.
- My Secret Key won’t save.
- You may need to use an approved browser. If you’re using anything other than Firefox or Chrome, you should stop and use either Chrome or Firefox.
- If you’re using an approved browser, you may need to clear your cache. Check out how to clear the cache by using the article on How To: Clear your Cache.
What do I do next?
You’ve got your payment gateway set up and that’s a huge step in the right direction! Now, you’re going to want to test that Payment Gateway to be sure that it’s up and running properly and without an issue. This is a super easy process and if you want to learn more, check out How To: Run a Test Transaction.