- How to register for a Google Analytics account
- How to get the Measuring ID (formerly known as Tracking Code)
- Adding the Measurement ID to your Art Storefronts site
Google Analytics is one of the top and most powerful tools out there for monitoring and analyzing traffic on your website. It provides you with an enormous amount of information about who is visiting your site, how they’re getting there and what they’re looking for. Because this tool is so powerful Art Storefronts naturally wanted to offer a way to integrate it. In this article, you’ll find steps on how to install Google Analytics on your site.
Please Note: If you are having issues understanding Google Analytics or reading the metrics, please reach out to us via our Facebook group Small Wins. Technical Support cannot assist you with any question related to reading your statistics or what they mean. If you are having issues installing Google Analytics please email at email@example.com.
How to register for a Google Analytics account.
If you are setting up Google Analytics for the first time on your site, this section of the article will explain how to install this correctly using the new system.
- Make sure you have your preferred web browser open and navigate to Google Analytics Solutions[add link]. Once you’re there, you need to make sure you click on the button labeled Set up for free.
- You’re going to be taken to a new page with quite a bit of information on it, so I'll go through these items step by step. In setting up a new account, enter your new account name. Please ensure you have the recommended choices checked as shown below. On to the section labelled Account Name. In this box, you need to enter the name of the account. You may want to just use your business name. That will make it easy for you to recognize what the account is being used for. In this example, I’m using the name of my site, for simplicity’s sake. Once done, you can click on the button labelled Next.
For the purpose of this tutorial, we are going to use the Account name, ASF GA Account.
- You’ll be taken to a next section where you’ll need to add a property. For every website you have, Google advises that you should have a property for each. This means that with the same Google Analytics account, you can have multiple sites.
So in this case, you are going to give the property a name specific to your site. For this example, we are going to name the property, ASF Site 1. Additionally, please choose the appropriate time zone and currency you’ll be using.
- After clicking on Next, you’ll be taken to another section where you will be asked more information about your business. For the Industry, we recommend choosing Arts & Entertainment. You can fill in the appropriate business size.
There is also an area where Google asks “How do you intend to use Google Analytics with your business? (Check all that apply)”, please choose all options apart from Others.
After filling the right info, please click on Create
- The last step in account and property creation is agreeing to the terms and conditions for using Google Analytics.
How to get the Measuring ID (formerly known as Tracking Code)
- After accepting the terms, you’ll be taken to a new page landing right on the property you created. Please click on Data Streams in the Property column
- The next step is to set-up the data stream that we’d like to collect statistics from. Since we are going to add this to your Art Storefronts website, we are going to choose Web.
- Google Analytics is going to ask you for your website URL. You can either use your Art Storefronts URL (e.g. https://samueltestsite.artstorefronts.com/) or your custom domain (e.g. https://www.artmarketingzone.com/). We recommend using the Art Storefronts URL just in case you change the custom domain connected to your website.
Please note: Since Google already added the “https://” prefix, you should enter the URL without the https or http prefix (e.g. samueltestsite.artstorefronts.com).
Give the website a name. In this example, we are going to name the website ASF Site. Once done, click on Create Stream.
- Congratulations, you have now created the Data Stream and along with it, the Measurement ID. This is the value you will need to paste into the Integration page on your site to implement Google Analytics on it, so highlight and copy this.
Adding the Measurement ID to your Art Storefronts site
- Please navigate to your Site Manager, then open the Jump to menu and select Integrations.
- Scroll down to the Google Analytics section, and paste the measurement ID from the page above into the named section. Now click on Update, and you should have Google Analytics up and running!