What is an Upsell?
An Upsell is an offer that is presented to the customers immediately after they had placed their order. The credit card information is saved on file, and still live on the order. All that the customer has to do, to purchase this additional product is consider the offer and click one button to buy it.
Please note: If the buyer accepts the upsell offer, an additional order will be created. The upsell product will not be added to the initial order.
How To Create An Upsell Product?
An Upsell Product can be any Art Print Product from an Art Print Store or any Standard Product from your Standard Store.
- Setting up an Art Print Product as an Upsell
We recommend setting up an Art Print Product as your Upsell, because any upsells sales you make will be automatically fulfilled by your vendor, and it will require the least involvement on your part.
- Setting up a Standard Product as an Upsell
When you set up a Standard Product as an Upsell, for anyone who accepts your upsell offer and buys the upsell product, you will be responsible of fulfilling the order.
If this is a piece that is in your possession, maybe you have it in your art studio, you would simply fulfill send it directly to your customer.
Setting up an Art Print Product as an Upsell
1) Using the Jump to Menu, navigate to the Revenue Boosters Page
2) Once there, make sure that you are on the Upsell Page tab. Find the Product that you want to offer as an Upsell Product by typing in the name of the product and clicking Find
3) Select the product from the results by clicking on the button Choose
4) Now that you have chosen a products, you will see a list of available options for that product. These options are set by your vendor.
First, you will need to make sure that you are on the Medium tab. Here you can choose the medium for your Upsell Art Print Product. For the purpose of this demo, we've chosen Lustre Photo Paper, but this can be whichever medium you want it to be. We recommend choosing your best selling medium.
Please note: Since Greeting Cards require your customer to enter a message, they can not be used as an Upsell product
5) Next, click on the Size tab and chose a size. For the purpose of this demo, we've chosen size 24x16
6) Next, click on the Styles tab and chose a style. For the purpose of this tutorial, we've chosen a Framed Prints style. Selecting this will prompt the fourth tab Frames.
7) Since we chose Framed Prints in Styles tab, we can now click on the tab Frame to chose a frame. For the purpose of this demo, we've chosen a simple Box Black Wood frame
8) Next, click on the blue Save button at the bottom right corner of your screen. If you miss to click on save, you will not be able to proceed to the next step.
9) Now that you've selected the product options, we can move on to the setting the price of the Upsell product. Right below the selected product options you will see the regular Price of this item (production cost of the vendor + the markup you've set in the art print store). However, since the Upsell product is an time limited offer you will be offering to your buyers, you will want to offer an upsell product at a discounted price. To discount this product, use the 'Price Override - Discounted Price For Upsell Offer' field
Note: The Price You Put Here Does NOT Affect The Vendor Price Of This Product. The vendor will charge you exactly what the production cost is.
For the purpose of this demo, we are going to put in a Price Override of $359, which discounts the regular price of this product by 20% :
10) Next, you will need to edit the Lead content, to reflect your offer.
For our example, the content could look something like this:
11) Next, you need to Enable the Upsell by making sure that the toggle is set to Yes:
12) As the last step, make sure to click on the blue Save button in the bottom right corner of your screen. If you do not click Save, you will lose all the work you did on this page so far.
If you Preview this page on the live site, by clicking on the blue Preview Site button at the bottom of the screen, you should see a page that looks like this:
Setting up a Standard Product as an Upsell
An Upsell Product can also be any Standard Product from your Standard Store. Here we will show you how to create a Standard Product and use it as an Upsell Product in your Checkout Funnel.
1) While in your Site Manager, navigate to your Standard Store.
2) Click on + Add Product to start creating a product you will use as your upsell offer
3) For the Type of Product make sure you select the Standard Product. If you select any other product type other then Standard Product, you will not be able to use this product as an Upsell Product, and you will need to create the upsell product again. Then, type in the Name of the product and click Save at the bottom right corner.
4) Add the image of the product by clicking on + Add Photos button and selecting a photo of the upsell product.
Note: only the first image you add to the product photos will be the one that is displayed as the product preview on the left side of the Upsell Offer page. If there are additional images you need to show, you can add those to the Short Description.
5) Next, make sure that the Quantity is set high, as it will ensure that new visitors can purchase it as long as the product is in stock. By default it will be set to an optimal value of 1000.
6) Next, you will add a short description of the piece you are offering.
Note: if you would like to show the original price crossed out next to the new upsell offer price, you will need to add that here, in the Short Description of the product.
7) Next, add the Price of the Upsell Product. Keep in mind that the price you add here, will be the product price that will be offered on the Upsell Page. There will not be an additional discount that is applied to this price, so this price should already be your discounted price.
Example: You normally sell this item for $520, but as an Upsell you want to offer it for only $240. You would put $240 as the Price of the upsell product. For additional marketing impact, in the Short description you could add the original price of $520 as crossed out next to the new price of $240.
IMPORTANT: The price of the shipping for the upsell product should be included in the price of the item. On the Upsell Page, there will be no other shipping costs for the upsell product.
8) Make sure that 'Include in Shipping Price Calculation' is set to NO. Instead, bake in the cost of the shipping into the cost of the Upsell Product.
9) In order for this to function correctly you will need to make sure your shipping methods have a "0" weight option or "0" cart subtotal option with a $0 price associated with it, depending on which method your shipping method uses to calculate the costs. To do so, navigate to your Shipping Methods
10) Open the shipping method you have set up on your website.
11) Scroll down to the Amount by Cart Subtotal (or Amount by Cart Weight, if this is the way you have set up your shipping costs)
12) Add a "0" weight option or "0" cart subtotal option with a $0 price associated with it, depending on which method your shipping method uses to calculate the costs:
13) Repeat steps 11) and 12) for any shipping methods you have set up on your website.
14) Now to enable the Upsell product use the Jump to Menu, and navigate to the Revenue Boosters Page
15) Once there, make sure that you are on the Upsell Page tab. Let's Find the Product that we just created in the steps above. Type in the name of the Upsell Product and click Find
16) Select the product from the results by clicking on the button Choose
17) Next, let's edit the Lead Content. This is the content that will be added to the very top of your Upsell Page. By default, this field will be populated with the following text:
You've unlocked a special offer!
Save [discount %] on [Product Name]!
Calculate the discount % (or $ amount) that you applied to the price of the Upsell Product, any edit the default content to reflect your offer. Also edit the Product Name to the name of your Upsell Product.
18) In order for your buyers to be redirected to the Upsell Page after they place their order, you will need to Enable the Upsell page by making sure that the Enabled? toggle is set to YES.
19) To Preview this Upsell Page you can click on the blue Preview Site button at the bottom of your screen.