If you have sold something in person, or the customer was not able to complete the purchase on the site, you have the ability to generate an order for them and send them an invoice directly to their email. This article will walk you through the process of creating an order and sending an invoice to your customer which they will be able to pay on the spot.
Table of contents:
- Creating the Order
- Selecting/Creating the Customer's Contact
- Selecting Shipping and Billing addresses
- Selecting Products
- Selecting the Shipping Method
- Adding a Discount (Optional)
- Review and Pay
- Sending an invoice
Creating the order
First step we need to complete is to create a Self Made Order for the selected item or items. This is done with a process we call Self-Made Order.
- Log in to your Site Manager and, in the upper right-hand corner, find the menu labeled Jump To. In this menu, select the option labeled Orders.
- At the top of the page, you will have four tabs. Click on the one labeled Self-Made Orders.
- Select the black button labeled + New Order at the left-hand side of the page.
You will be directed to a new page with two different options: New Customer and Choose an Existing Customer.
Create a New Customer
- Here you will either create a new contact for the order or select an existing customer from your contacts. If you have not created your contact yet, you will click on New Customer.
- Once you click on this, new fields will appear, where you can enter the personal details of your customer into these fields, which should be fairly self-explanatory.
- Near the bottom of the list are three other fields which need extra explanation. The first is the option to make this customer Tax Exempt. You should only enable this if you have a specific reason to.
- The second is Can Buy Wholesale. Again, you should only enable this if you really need to. Any customer who has this enabled will be pay wholesale prices for their orders, but you should not enable this as you will not make any profit on any orders for customers who are Wholesale-enabled.
- The last option is Send Welcome Email To Customer. If you check this, the customer will be sent a notification email informing them about the creation of their account.
- After you have reviewed the information you have entered, if it is correct you can click on the black button labeled Create to create the account for your customer.
- Once the contact has been created, you will be given the option to Start Order or Go Back. If you would like to continue on to purchasing a product, select Start Order. If you would like to edit the contact you just created or add another contact, click the button labeled Go Back.
Use an Existing Customer
- If you already have a contact for this customer, click on Choose an Existing Customer.
- A drop-down will appear with a search bar labeled Search Contacts. Type in the name of the contact you would like to use for the order inside the text box. When finished, click GO to see your results. Once you see the contact, click the black button labeled Select.
Shipping and Billing Addresses
- Once you have created or selected your customer, you can see on the right under the Order Summary that there is no shipping or billing addresses set up. So let’s move on first to filling in their Shipping Address.
- If your contact doesn't have the customers shipping address, then you will need to click on Create New Address. You will then see a drop down with fields to add your shipping address. After you have added all the information, click on the black button at the bottom of the fields labeled Create New Address to save your information.
- This will add the address to the account. You can click on Ok here to move onto the next stage where you will select it.
- Click on Select Existing and select the address you have created.
- Once you have done so, you can also check the box Apply To Billing Address to automatically fill in your Billing Address for the order. This is useful if you are placing an order for yourself and it is shipped to your address.
- Next, you will need to add your Billing Address (if you didn't do so in the previous step.)
- If your contact doesn't have the customer’s billing address, then you will need to click on Create New Address. You will then see a drop down with fields to add your billing address. After you have added all the information, click on the black button at the bottom of the fields labeled Create New Address to save your information.
- If your contact already has a shipping address entered in for their account, you can click on Select Existing. A drop-down box will appear and you can select the correct address from the listings.
- Now click on + Add Items. This is where you will select the products for the order.
- You can type the name or category for the product you are looking for, and click on GO to begin a search. Once you have found the product you are looking for, click on the Select button beside it.
- Once you have selected a product, you will be given the option to add it to your cart. If you have selected a print product, you will need to select your preferences before you can add the print to your cart. First, you will select your Medium type. When finished, press Continue.
- Then select the Size of your print and press Continue.
- Now, select the Styles of your print and press Continue.
- To add your item to the cart, review your Summary, and click on the Add to Cart button. (You have the option setting a Price Override here, but unless you have a need to set this at a specific value we recommend you use the price as shown.)
Keep in mind that the Price Override will not affect the wholesale price of the order. You'd still be charged the wholesale price, regardless of the value you add in this field
Select Shipping Method
- You can now repeat these steps for each product you wish to add to the order. When you can added all the products you need to, it’s time to click on Shipping Method and select one of the shipping methods available for the product you’ve selected.
There is also an option for Override Shipping Total, but you should only use this for self-fulfilled orders, and only when you have a specific need to do this. Your Fulfillment Vendor will always charge you the correct shipping price, regardless of the value you add in this field.
- If you would like to add a discount to the order you can do so by selecting a currently active discount coupon from your website. This should only be done for the regular price orders, and not wholesale price orders.
Keep in mind that discount activated here will only discount the price your customer is paying, not the Vendor Purchase price you are paying for Vendor Orders.
The discount activated here will also appear on the Checkout Page the invoice will link to.
Review & Pay
- Now click on Review & Pay.
- You can empty your cart by clicking on the red Empty Cart button if you want to remove all the products from your cart and start over.
- You will also now see a breakdown of the order you are about to place.
- It's now time to select your Payment Method. By default it requires the credit card details from your customer.
Sending an Invoice
- In the Payment Method section, please select "Create Invoice" option. This option will generate the Invoice creation page you can use to specify the details of the invoice.
- Here, you can add Invoice Title and Message, and also determine the Invoice Delivery Method, Payment Frequency and Invoice Delivery time. At this moment, these only have one option each, but we are looking into adding more options in the future.
- Once those are filled, we can move on and select Place Order option.
Once you select the "Place Order" option, the order will be created in the system. It will be displayed with the "Unpaid" and "Invoice Pending" status. For Vendor Orders, or print and merch orders fulfilled by the Fulfillment Vendor your site is connected to, the order will not be sent to the vendor until it has been paid by the customer. The Order status will update automatically upon receiving the payment, and the order will automatically be sent to the vendor following a successful checkout. For Self Fulfilled orders, you can update the status manually upon receiving the funds.
Once the order has been placed, the system will automatically send an invoice to the customer's email address specified in the beginning of the process. In the Invoice Email, the Customer will see a link they can click on that will lead them to the checkout page of your website, where they can complete the purchase.
On this page, the customer can choose the Payment Method, and complete the purchase.